What are the keys to successful CRM implentation?
* Develop your customer-focused strategy first before considering what kind of technology you need.
* Break your CRM project down into manageable pieces by setting up pilot programs and short-term milestones. Start with a pilot project that incorporates all the necessary departments but is small enough and flexible enough to allow tinkering along the way.
* Make sure your CRM plans include a scalable architecture framework. Think carefully about what is best for your enterprise: a solution that ties together “best of breed” software from several vendors via Web Services or an integrated package of software from one vendor.
* Don't underestimate how much data you might collect (there will be LOTS) and make sure that if you need to expand systems you'll be able to.
* Be thoughtful about what data is collected and stored. The impulse will be to grab and then store EVERY piece of data you can, but there is often no reason to store data. Storing useless data wastes time and money.
Susannah Patton and Tom Wailgum