JavaServer Faces (JSF) is quickly emerging as the leading solution for rapid user interface development in Java-based server-side applications. This tutorial covers the latest feature enhancements, the powerful Ajax development techniques, and open source innovations that make JSF even more valuable.
This tutorial delve into all facets of JSF 1.2 development, offering systematic best practices for building robust applications, minimizing handcoding, and maximizing productivity. Drawing on unsurpassed insider knowledge of the Java platform, they present solutions, hints, tips, and "how-tos" for writing superior JSF 1.2 production code, even if you're new to JSF, JavaServer Pages, or servlets.
Tutorial's new coverage includes: JSF 1.2's improved alignment with the broader Java EE 5 platform; enhancements to the JSF APIs; controlling Web flow with Shale; and using Facelets to replace JSP with XHTML markup. The tutorial also introduce Ajax development with JSF—from real-time validation and Direct Web Remoting to wrapping Ajax in JSF components and using the popular Ajax4jsf framework.
This tutorial will help you
* Automate low-level details and eliminate unnecessary complexity in server-side development
* Discover JSF best practices, ranging from effective UI design and style sheets to internationalization
* Use JSF with Tiles to build consistent, reusable user interfaces
* Leverage external services such as databases, LDAP directories, authentication/authorization, and Web services
* Use JBoss Seam to greatly simplify development of database-backed applications
* Implement custom components, converters, and validators
* Master the JSF 1.2 tag libararies, and extend JSF with additional tag libraries